Text interpretation for fifth grade student. the text used in this interpretation is “The butterfly and the turtle”.
This activity is available for download in a Word template, in a ready-to-print PDF and the completed activity.
Download this activity from:
It was a sunny morning and the old turtle, who had lived in the pond for over a hundred years, went out to sunbathe.
He looked for a little corner on the bank, slowly straightened up, and there he decided to stay very quiet.
At the same time, a butterfly, which had just been born, appeared there, hastily flapping its wings.
All excited, looking everywhere, not knowing where to start.
"What will that be?" thought the butterfly when she saw the turtle.
And immediately landed on her.
- Ready! I knew this rest of mine wouldn't last! complained the turtle. "Sho!" Shoo! It will bother someone else! If you can't stay still for a minute, leave alone whoever wants to be quiet in her corner!
- But who are you? asked the butterfly.
Can't you see I'm a turtle?
- How horrible! cried the butterfly. — I went to land right on top of the most still animal in the world. How horrible!
And it left the way it had arrived.
— What an irritating beast! thought the butterfly. "I don't know how someone can stay a lifetime with so much to see."
— What an irritating beast! thought the turtle. "I don't understand how someone can move all the time without having an iota of peace."
And as the butterfly flew, the turtle shrank its head and stayed where it was.
— What a beautiful flower! How beautiful that yellow one is! And the red one too! Are you a tree? Good morning, little bird! I'll run after the bee… Look at me in the pond's mirror!…
"Why leave here if the sun's heat is so good?" thought the turtle.
And so the day went by, and the turtle in her corner thought:
“Nothing better than a good night's sleep after a long day like this.
- Our! It's already dusk and I haven't seen almost anything! thought the butterfly. "How short the day was!"
When night came, the turtle decided to stay where it was and not return to the pond until the next day. And the butterfly, surprised by the darkness, looked for a place to stay.
"I'm going to land on this pebble," thought the butterfly, and landed on the turtle.
— What a nice breeze! thought the turtle when she felt the butterfly on her. And she closed her eyes.
What a hot stone! thought the butterfly and slept.
That night the butterfly dreamed he was a turtle and the turtle dreamed he was a butterfly.
LACOCCA, Liliana. The butterfly and the turtle. São Paulo, Attica, 1999.
1) What is the title of the text?
2) Who is the author?
3) How many and which characters are in the text?
4) Where does the story take place?
5) How many paragraphs are there in the text?
6) Name a characteristic of the turtle.
7) Name a feature of the butterfly.
8) Are you more like a turtle or a butterfly? Explain your answer.
9) In your opinion, can two people as different as the turtle and the butterfly be friends? Justify your answer.
10) This story takes place in:
a month ago
b) One day
c) One week
At answers are in the link above the header.report this ad